The Club's History
The first published record of a sailing regatta in Loch Ryan hosted by Lochryan Yachting Club was in August 1843 under the patronage of HRH Prince Albert and attended by most of the local nobility including the Earl of Stair and the Earl of Orkney.
The major prize was the Members' Cup, value 50 Guineas and the Ladies Silver Cup value 35 Guineas. There was a match for a cup presented by the Merchants of Glasgow to the value of 45 Guineas for Yachts of any Royal Yacht Club not exceeding 30 tons. There were also sailing matches for fishing boats and rowing matches for gigs, wherries and fishing boats.
On the first day, after three hours' racing, the match was won by Peterel on handicap from Meteor with the Phoebe coming fourth despite losing a topmast.
he two-day event was followed by a ball which went on until 3.00am.
The regatta in 1878 was even attended by a yacht from New Orleans!
Events continued at Loch Ryan despite various gaps until the commencement of the Second World War. The club started up again at Stranraer Harbour in 1951 and continued there until moving to Wig Bay, Kirkcolm, in 1968.
After 50 years at this location the club has now had to move back to Stranraer so the wheel has gone full circle.
From May 2018 the club has taken up residence at the Harbour Masters Office near to the Marina with the boats being stored in the secure compound adjacent.